Thursday, March 13, 2008

Are we really destroying the earth?

Keeping in mind that we need to be environmentally friendly, and to be aware that a theory is a theory is a theory, I am sick and tired of people using scare tactics.

Yes we do need some regulations. Partisans on the far right don't want to regulate anything, and partisans on the far left want to regulate everything. But right now it's the partisans on the left who are trying to scare voters with their doom and gloom view of the world that we are destroying the planet by our very existance.

While I consider myself an environmentalist in my own right, in that I support the preservaiton of nature, I don't buy into everything I hear in the media. If they told me the world was going to end tomorrow, I would doubt their credibility.

It is the far left environmentalists who control Washington. They have done some good things, I'll grant them that, but most of the time they go way overboard.

For one thing, they have spent the past 20 years or so trying to convince people that man, and mostly men in the United States because of all our technology, is destroying the planet. And that we alone are responsible for the global warming trend of the past several years.

To solve this problem they want more regulations. They dont' just want to regulate factories, but car manufacturers and oil too. I think I am right in saying that we have not had one new oil refinery build in the U.S. in 40 years. There's no doubt that effects the price of oil and hurts the economy.

And they contend that because our fossil fuels use is causing CO2 levels in the atmosphere to increase, we are causing a greenhouse effect and, thus, global warming. And, they say, if we don't force industries to do something about it by creating more regulations, and by signing on to things like the Kyoto protocols, our children won't have an opportunity to enjoy the planet as we have, if the planet is still around.

I read almost every day how we are destroying our planet by our technologies, by our use of fossil fuels. I rarely read about other theories in the local paper, unless it is via an editorial by a conservative resident of Shoreline, or a nationally syndicated conservative columnist.

It shouldn't be this way. It shouldn't be left up to conservatives or libertarians to tell us that there are other theories. I even think they teach our kids in schools that we are causing global warming.

I'm not contending that we are not causing global warming, because I think we are definitely contributing based on evidence I've seen, but there are other theories out there, and our schools should teach all theories, not just the ones that teachers buy into. If they simply teach one theory, they are, in essence, brainwashing my kids; our kids; our future.

Some of these "extreme" environmentalists, or partisan environmentalists, or "Wacky" environmentalists as Rush Limbaugh calls them, even go as far as to tell us we need to use only one piece of toilet paper when wiping, or that we need to stop having kids so we don't add to the earths overpopulation problem.

They tell us we are destroying our rain forests, causing animals to become extinct, polluting our lakes and streams and oceans, causing holes in the ozone, etc.

In my last post I wrote about how in the 1970s "extreme" environmentalists wanted to melt the polar ice caps. They went as far to propose this in Washington. They had it all planned out how they were going to do it.

Aren't you glad they didn't do that. They would have destroyed the planet right there.

When I was a kid my mom would threaten us kids by saying things like, "Well, you better eat all your food, because there are starving kids in Ethiopia."

She was right, there are starving kids in Ethiopia, but using that scare tactic rarely worked for us kids. And it won't work for regular Americans either. Because the facts tell a different story.

I'm sick and tired of people using scare tactics. I'm sick and tired of people not looking at all the facts. I'm sick and tired of the media not reporting all the facts, as they did not do when they did not even report on the global cooling that occured in January.

Even McCain and Bush have accepted the idea of global warming as though it were a fact. Is it? I don't know. Fifty percent of scientists don't think so.

Is the planet really overpopulated? Are we really running out of trees and cutting down all our forests? Is modern technology destroying the planet? Is our world more polluted today than, say, in 1900.

Before we make drastic laws and thus forcefully changing society, and before we over-regulate industries and risk an environmental collapse, we have to get all the
facts on the table.

I will attempt to do this in my next couple posts.

No comments: