Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July Folks. Even though I'm stuck working the holiday, doesn't mean I can't still celebrate. I started with a free midnight meal our bosses provided, and now I'm here looking up neat 4th of July facts.

I found this really cool website with all the original documents, transcripts, and some cool information. I kind of enjoy perusing this kind of stuff.

Here are some pretty cool facts:
  1. Not all members of the 2nd Continental Congress supported a formal Declaration of Independence, but those who did were passionate about it. One representative rode 80 miles by horseback to reach Philadelphia and break a tie in support of independence.
  2. Independence Day commemorates the formal adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, when it was unanimously approved by the 2nd Continental Congress.
  3. However, it was not observed as a holiday until after the War of 1812
  4. And, it was not declared a legal federal holiday until 1941.

This site was pretty cool too. When I first learned the song Yankee Doodle when I was in kindergarten I wondered what a Yankee noodle was. Well, Yankee is believed to be a misinterpretation of the word English, and Doodle is supposed to refer to a dumb person.

So, while it was used in the past as a "derogative" song, it was sang by the British to make fun of the American Colonists. The colonists in turn adapted this song as their own and made it their own "rallying anthem."

Anyway, I love the picture I pulled out for this post. It shows how hard the founders worked at creating the worlds most perfect document. I wonder what the world would be like today if these guys were still alive.

No comments: