Saturday, November 21, 2009

Good luck Lou Dobbs

As any of the two people who follows my blog knows, I like to get my news from many sources. One of my favorite places to get the news is CNN. While I don't always agree with him, I really enjoyed watching Lou Dobbs and, likewise, I loved reading his books.

I completely understand that CNN tends to take a middle of the road approach to the news. I also understand that the owners of CNN are what some say are radically liberal. I understand the slant they take may tend to lean liberal. But there are programs on CNN that are worth watching. And Lou Dobbs, along with Anderson Cooper, are among them.

Likewise, Fox is slamming CNN in the ratings race. In fact, Fox News is leading all the other networks combined in nearly every slot from 5 p.m. on. CNN is in last place. CNN is losing viewers fast. One of the reasons Fox is doing so well is because it provides a voice for conservatives that is missing from media outlets like CNN. A second reason Fox is doing so well is because people love to watch opinion shows.

Which is why I was surprised when Lou Dobbs announced last Wednesday that he was stepping down from his job at CNN, "effective immediately."

He says him leaving CNN was mutual agreement and that there were no holds barred between the owners of CNN and himself. Yet, as I read the news this morning, CNN paid him $8 million to leave the show.

This seems strange to me, considering if he left willingly, if he quit, then he would officially relieve himself of any contract he was in. Yet, if he were fired, then CNN would be committed to buying him out of his contract. Which makes it look to me as though he were forced out, regardless of what he says.

But all that matters not. Lou Dobbs is a great man and he will find a job elsewhere. He said on both The O'Reilly Factor with Bill O'Reilly and on the Today Show with Matt Lauer that he will definitely return to the public arena in some form, either as an anchor or perhaps even as a Senator.

I wish Lou Dobbs, who was with CNN from it's inception 27 years ago, all the best of luck. I'm sure he will excel in all he tried to accomplish.

No comments: