Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The new pope is selected; another old, white guy

Pope Jorge Bergoglio will soon pick a new name.  He looks
 humbled.  Healso looks really thrilled to be leading 2 billion
Catholics.  We must pray he makes wise decisions. 
Ahhhhhh.  The white smoke is in and the new pope will be another old guy.  I really had my hopes up the Cardinals would wise up and select a younger Pope, someone who would more readily connect with the youths of the world.  But, the Cardinals decided to hire another old white guy who will probably continue the old, stubborn, ways of the Church.  Nothing will change, and I imagine a lot of Catholics are happy with that.  so many people so afraid to make any wise decisions that will make the Church better.

However, I will continue to pray that this new Pope, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio from Argentina, will make advance the Church into the 21st century in order to prevent the Church from becoming irrelevant.  Again, I'm not talking about making changes that will change the principles of the church, only common sense changes that will give Catholics a reason to be proud once again.

CBS News papal consultant Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo said Bergoglio “did not want to be pope.” But isn't that what the last Pope said when he was selected.  Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic about this, but there aren't many opportunities like this.  We will pray.  

I know that the Church is afraid if they selected a young person he might make "radical" changes that might provide an incentive for young people to stay in the church.  Now they don't have to worry.  I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.  I will pray.  

No comments: