Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Packers call Favre's bluff, send him packing

Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback Carson Palmer said it best when interviewed by ESPN's Jim Rome this morning when he said he's sick and tired of hearing about Brett Favre every time he turns on the TV. It's almost as though you can't gat away from Favre this and Favre that.

Palmer said he's to the point now that he won't even watch TV. I second that motion. I was flipping through the sports channels while working out this afternoon, and Favre was being discussed on every channel every 5-10 minutes.

So I switched to CNN and there was Favre, and then to Fox where they too were discussing Favre in between other news.

It's funny, because on the bottom of the screen you have those words going across all the time. You have topics: NL, AL, NFL, NBA, WNBA, Favre. He's developed himself into his own franchise.

Here's what I think about the Favre situation. I think he screwed himself. I think that for the past two years he dinked around with retirement, forcing the team to make a decision to bring him back at the last moment. This may even have hurt the team.

This year, when Favre dinked around again, the team decided to heck with Favre, we're going with Aaron Rodgers. We think he's ready.

In essence, Favre was finally called on his bluff. The Packers decided to quit playing that game and move on.

Yes, I think the Packers would be a far better team with Favre at the helm than Rogers, but Rogers is the future. The team will be better off down the road with Rogers at the helm.

However, I certainly wouldn't want to be Rogers. I wouldn't want to try to slip into Favre's shoes.

Some people are saying that Steve Young did a great job of fitting into Montana's shoes when Montana moved on. But, then again, Young was an established QB at that time. Rogers is not an established QB. Chances are, the Packers will not be a good team this year. Although, I could be wrong.

The packers are probably going to send Favre packing for the best deal they can get, and preferably away from the NFC North. This is not something the team would have done if Favre would have indicated where his priorities were at the end of last season.

He wavered, and now he's going to find himself NOT wearing the packer colors. I think this is great for the packers, and great for my pathetic Lions who will be scratching and clawing to stay in the race this year as every other year -- or should I say meowing.

The best place for Favre to end up would be with the Vikings. Yet, the only way I think the Packers would make that trade is if the Vikings offered one heck of an offer, like some #1 picks or something.

Personally, I don't want him on the Packers, and I don't want him on the Vikings. I want him somewhere where he won't be facing my Lions. They need all the help they can get.

Besides, isn't Favre the same age as me. Can he really keep up with today's young tacklers, all of whom would love nothing more than to bring him down.?

How this plays out doesn't matter to me, but if he ends up on a team with a great wide receiver, I might think about drafting him as my #2 quarterback on my fantasy team, and then not draft him unless I'm desperate.

He's old. But then again, he is Brett Favre, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. If anyone can come out of nowhere and bring a new team to the Superbowl, it's Brett Favre.

And that, my sports friends, is the thought of the day.

No comments: