Sunday, February 19, 2012

School sued for inflating graduation rates

The New York Daily News reports that several graduates from law schools are suing their respective law schools for falsely inflating post graduation job rates.  I find this interesting because I once wrote about inflated school graduation rates when I was in college.

The lawyers in this report, all of whom are unemployed post graduation, state that the schools touted a post-graduation job rate of up to 98 percent.  Yet they claim these numbers were inflated by including part time or temporary work.

When I was a student at Ferris State University in Big Rapids Michigan I wrote a report where "some students suggested" post graduation job rates were as high as 98 percent, although these figures included any job, even those not related to the degree obtained.  These included jobs at McDonalds and Burger King.

I can understand the dissident of these students, because I obtained a degree in journalism and advertising and my school did nothing to help me actually get a job.  I felt when I graduated I wasn't prepared for the job market, nor was I even in a field that was right for me.

Now I don't blame the school for my failings (a failure that benefited me in the long run), but I think the school did mislead me into registering for a program that touts a 98 percent post graduate job rate.  I'll have to pluck out that old story.  I have it somewhere in the basement.  I'm sure it's yellow by now and smells musty, considering the clipping is from 1988.

My how little things change.

No comments: