Thursday, February 7, 2013

We have to, we must, debate politics more often

One of the things I've been doing more of since Obama won is talking about my political views more.  I think that one of the reasons that someone like Obama can win is because people like me don't share political views more often because we're afraid of offending people.  But we continue to feel this way, the history of this nation will continue to be ignored.

Therefore, I have been emailing my brothers every day about something in politics.  Most of my brothers are conservative, and mostly they agree with me. Sometimes they disagree.  Yet some, many, of my friends are liberals.  And some of them are liberals because they read a lot and became liberals based on the fact they were convinced by liberals that that view is best for our nation.  Yet some of my friends formed their political views out of ignorance.  I don't mean to offend any of them, but they are your low information voters.  Politics is too complicated for them, too boring, so they continue to do things that interest them, watch E! Entertainment and learn about Madonna, instead of reading the news and learning about the economy.

I think that is what's wrong with this nation.  That's why people like me, people who read the news, read books, and understand history, need to speak out more.  I don't care if you're a liberal, conservative, libertarian, peanutbutterferriean, or what.  You need to stop keeping your political views to yourself.  This old notion that you can't talk about politics and religion in public is hogwash.  I discuss both with my patients all the time, you just have to know how to do it in a non-offending fashion.

No comments: